January 26, 2021
This simple and quick pasta dish is not only delicious, but also incredibly versatile. Use it as a main dish or a side dish, add some chicken for additional protein to bump it up a notch. If you’re looking for a low carb option, substitute quinoa for the pasta. Or if you’re not in a pasta mood at all, use this creamy sauce as a pizza sauce and add your favorite toppings. So many options!
- 1 28 oz can of San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sized yellow onion
- 3 oz prosciutto diced (optional)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of High Ore Vodka
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 tbsp oregano
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 14 oz penne pasta, ½ cup of pasta water set to the side
- Bring a pot of water to a boil to cook the pasta. Season water with salt.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and prosciutto, sauté 4-5 minutes until onions are translucent. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant.
- Remove from heat and add mixture into a blender with the San Marzano tomatoes. Blend until smooth (or less if you like a chunky sauce.) Return to pan and medium-low heat. Add the vodka, salt and pepper. Let cook for about 15 minutes (or until strong alcohol scent is cooked off) stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve pasta water and drain.
- Stir cream into sauce and heat through, about 1 minute. Stir in parmesan, basil and oregano. Add pasta water to thin sauce just a bit. (you might not need the full ½ cup)
- Add drained pasta to the sauce, toss to coat. Serve garnished with parmesan and basil if desired.
Comments are closed.